The Hunger-Free Leadership Institute is an eight-month training program that works to end hunger in Oregon by building, strengthening, and supporting community leaders. The application period is now closed.
We would like to congratulate the Fellows Class of 2018 on their acceptance into the second cohort of H-FLI! We look forward to sharing more about these 10 amazing leaders on our blog.
H-FLI participants will:
- Build stronger relationships in their community
- Develop their personal narrative to move others to action
- Learn about hunger in Oregon
- Engage with the Oregon Legislature through political advocacy
- Have opportunities to network with anti-hunger professionals
H-FLI members will be problem-solvers who like to bring people together, are interested in sharing information with their neighbors, curious, friendly, and want to make their community better. We are actively seeking the leadership of experts in lived experience of hunger or poverty whose voices are underrepresented in the anti-hunger movement. We’re looking for folks from all walks of life!
This year’s program will take place October 15, 2017 through May 19, 2018. Participants should expect to spend on average 24 hours a month in program activities and trainings, and commit to attending all trainings. Trainings will take place on:
- Sunday, October 15, 9:00 a.m. - Monday, October 16, 12:00 p.m.
- Friday, December 1, 1:00 p.m. - Saturday, December 2, 2017, 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, February 4, 2018, 12:00 p.m. - Monday, February 5, 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 18, 1:00 p.m. - Saturday, May 19, 2017, 5:00 p.m.
Meals and and childcare will be provided at all trainings. Transportation and lodging will be provided when trainings take place outside of a one-hour drive. Stipends of up to $1,000 will be available to Fellows at an income-based sliding scale.
Read 2016-2017 Fellows' stories on the blog
- Paul's story on Hunger and Hope
- Jackie's story on Parenting and Food
- Jen's story on Gardening and Abundance
- Joshua's story on the Path to Advocacy
- Kristin's story on Survival and Opportunity
- Vic's journey from Skipping Meals to Feeding Others
H-FLI Advisory Council
The Hunger-Free Leadership Institute is guided by an Advisory Council who evaluates, plans, and recruits for H-FLI. They are:
Alison DeLancey, H-FLI Alumni
Beatriz Gutierrez, H-FLI Alumni
Brian Park, OHSU Richmond Clinic
Celia Meredith, AmeriCorps VISTA, PHFO
Chloe Eberhardt, PHFO Staff
Chris Baker, PHFO Staff
Jackie Leung, H-FLI Alumni
Jen Carter, H-FLI Alumni
Jen Turner, Oregon Food Bank
Joshua Thomas, H-FLI Alumni
Kirstin Juul, H-FLI Alumni
Marcella Miller, PHFO Staff
Michelle Harreld, NorthStar Clubhouse
Peter Lawson, Oregon Food Bank - Southeast Oregon Services
Rabia (Ruby) Shirazi, PHFO Board member, (re)solution lab