Partners for a Hunger-Free Oregon has developed new outreach materials to advertise summer meal programs around the state.
Spread the Word!
This summer there will be hundreds of locations around Oregon where kids can recieve a free meal. We need your help getting the word out. Many families have never heard of the Summer Food Service Program, or have misperceptions about who is able to use it. Last year, only 1 in 5 kids who ate a free or reduced price school lunch also ate at a summer meal site in Oregon.
Please help us let parents and kids know about this important resource. The following outreach materials are available for you to download, reproduce and distribute.
- Flyer: great to hand out to kids at school, or hanging on community boards around town. Includes English, Spanish, Russian and Vietnamese text.
- Small handout: These small simple sheets can be printed 4 to a page. We've also produced them in tear-off pads, with 50 sheets in a pad. Great to hand to kids at events, or set on a counter at a docter office or library.
- Door Hanger: a targeted tool to let neighbors know about a meal site in their neighborhood. Very effective for new sites, or for a mid-summer boost in awareness. The backs are blank, and we recommend printing mailing labels with site specific information. Sticking labels on doorhangers makes a great volunteer activity, as does spending an hour hanging them on doors. Includes English and Spanish text.
- Yard Sign: This design is for printing a 18" by 24" yard sign, which many printers should be able to produce. You may also print the design as a poster. The blank space is useful for writing site specific information, or an arrow to mark an entrance. Includes and English side and a Spanish side.
- Press Release Template: Send this release, with any additional local information you can add, to newspapers, radio stations and other news outlets in your area. Included is also a short, 2 sentance announcement for a newsletter or website.
- Logo: We encourage you to use this logo if you create your own materials. It can also be used on a website, newsletter or in an email announcement.
If creating your own materials, please be sure to include the following information:
This summer free meals are available to all children and teens 1-18 years old. To find the nearest summer meal site, visit www.summerfoodOregon.org or call toll-free 1-800-SAFENET (723-3638)
Additional Outreach Resources
Contact us if you would like assistance in developing an outreach campaign, or have ideas for other materials we should produce!